Winter Vegetable Stew with Herb Dumplings
- 2 Parsnips
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Swede
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 1-2 ltrs vegetable stock
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- A little oil
- 2 tblspn Gravy thickning
For the Dumplings
- 250 g plain Flour
- 100 g Shredded suet You can get vegetarian suet
- 2 tblspn mixed herbs
- Pinch of salt
- Some cold water
- 2 leeks
- Tin of butter beans
- Tin of Chick Peas
- Peel & cut all the vegetables. Cut to quite a small size (about folded finger size)
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan or cooking pot
- Add the onion and fry gently for about 1min, then add all the other vegetables a bit at a time coating in the oil as you do so.
- Add the herbs, Salt & Pepper and stir in well
- Add the vegetable stock so it covers all the vegetables and stir in. You may have some left over. Pop a lid on the pot.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer for about 45mins or until all the vegetables are almost cooked. Add more Stock or water if required during cooking.
- When almost cooked, stir in some gravy thicking. This can be gravy granules or some Cornflour (mix the cornflour with a little water and mix to a paste first, then add to the stew).
- Add the dumplings and recover and cook until the dumplings have risen.
To make the Dumplings
- In a bowl mix the flour, suet, herbs and salt together
- Add some cold water 1 tblspn at a time mixing well. if you can use your hands as it binds better. You need a soft (not wet) pliable dough. If you add too much water and it becomes sticky, add a little more flour.
- Divide into 4-6 balls
If you don’t want the herbs in the dumplings, thats fine, just leave them out. If you like a thick stew, just add some extra gravy thickening Got some stew liquid left on your plate? Place a slice of bread on the plate and let the liquid soak in, turn the bread over and soak that side, enjoy.