- 500 g Lean Beef mince or Lamb mince
- 1 medium Onion – chopped small
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 2 large carrots – peeled and cut into small pieces. slice the carrot then cut each slice into quarters or smaller
- 1 Beef or Lamb stock Cube
- 1-2 tablespoon gravy granules
- 1 teaspoon oil
- A little bit water
- Handful of frozen peas
- 3-4 large potatoes
- Large knob of butter or margarine
- Splash of milk
- Pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- As much grated cheese as you want it’s your taste buds.
- Sweetcorn Mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce (for a kick)
- Peel and quarter your potatoes and put into a pan of salted boiling water. Cook until a sharp knife slides easily through the potato.
- When cooked, drain off the water.
- Add a pinch of salt, a large knob of butter and a splash of milk.
- Mash until smooth. You do not want any lumps.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot and mixed herbs and cook until the onion has softened and the carrots have changed colour.
- Add the mince and cook until the mince is browned all over.
- Add the stock cube and a little water. Sprinkle over 1-2 tblsp gravy granules to thicken. The mixture should be moist but not swimming. Any excess liquid drain off.
- Add the frozen peas and any other extra ingredients you want. Stir in well. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 5-10mins.
- When the mince mixture is cooked, turn out into a heat proof dish. Spread out evenly.
- Place the mashed potato on top of the mince mixture and spread out evenly making sure you go right up to the edges. Drag a fork through the mash potato for effect.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Place in a hot oven or under the grill until all the cheese has melted and slightly browned.
You can eat just as it is or you can add extra vegetables if required. Curly Kale, Cabbage, Broccoli or extra peas are ideal. This is ideal for freezing for the days you know you will be too busy to cook. Divide into the portion size you want and put into a freezer proof container. When ready to use, defrost thoroughly and microwave for 2-3 mins, shake or stir and microwave for another 2-3mins (depending on portion size). Make sure it is piping hot right through before serving.