Root Vegetable Soup
- 2 Parsnips
- 4 carrotts
- 1 large sweet Potato
- 1 large onion red or white
- a little oil
- 1½ ltrs vegetable stock
- Good shake of mixed herbs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Peel and chop all the vegetables
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan
- Add the onion and gently fry until soft
- Add the vegetable one at a time and stir through so they are all coated in the oil.
- Add the mixed herbs and stir through
- Slowly add the vegetable stock
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Cover and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for about 30mins or until all the vegetables are cooked.
- If you have a hand blender use this to blitz the vegetables to make a soup like consistency. If you want to leave a few lumps, thats fine. If you do not have a hand blender but have a table top blender, gradually add the mixture and blend until you have the consistency you want. If you have neither of these, use a potato masher and mash the vegetable down until you have a soupy consistency.
serve in warmed bowls with crusty bread. For some extra flavour add some grated cheese on top Or Some crunchy croutons woud go well too. Or add a dollop of Creme Fraiche