Mixed Bean Stew
- 1 x tin m1x tin mixed beans
- 2 x carrots 1 x onion(red or white)
- 1 x garlic clove
- 1 large potato or 2 small
- Vegetable oil
- 1 ltr vegetable stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- Vegetable suet
- Self Raising flour
- a little water
- 1 Tin of baked beans
- 1 Tin Butter Beans
- 1 Tin Kidney Beans
- 1 Tin Borlotti Beans
- Make up the vegetable stock. Put a vegetable stock cube in a jug and add 1½ltr of boiling water. Stir until the stock cube has dissolved.
- Peel and chop the carrots, onion and garlic. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes (about match box size)
- Heat a little oil in a large pan, add the onion & garlic. Lightly fry for 1-2 mins. Add the carrots & potatoes and stir, coating in the oil.
- Add the stock making sure it covers all the vegetables.
- Cover the pan and bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are almost cooked.
Make the dumplings.
- Put 50g SR flour in a bowl. Add 23g of vegetable suet and a pinch of salt. Add a little water, about 35ml and mix all together. The mixture should be slightly on the dry side but not falling apart. Mould into 2-3 balls.
- Add the tin of mixed beans to the stew and stir in. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the dumplings to the stew, cover the pan again and cook until the dumplings rise (hopefully). Serve into warmed bowls and enjoy.
A few tips and suggestions about this recipe. Any Stew left over can be cooled, covered and chilled or cooled and frozen. This will make an excellent emergency meal or a tasty lunch. Serve with crusty bread.