Meatballs With Tagliatelle in a spicy Tomato Sauce
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 slice of bread crumbed
- Salt & Pepper
- Vegetable or Corn oil
- 1 Tin chopped tomatoes or a carton of Passata
- Good squeeze of tomato puree
- ½ tsp dried chilli
- 5-6 balls of tagliatelle
- Fresh chilli use this instead of dried. Deseed and chop finely
- Grated Cheese
- Put a pan of salted water on to boil for the tagliatelle. When boiling add the tagliatelle, stir to seperate and cook until just soft. Drain the water once cooked.
- If you have a food processor, chop the onion finely then add to a bowl, if not then chop the onion as fine as you can.
- Put the slice of bread in the processor and crumb then add to the onion. Or, tear the bread in to very tiny pieces then add to the onion.
- Add the mince, salt & pepper to the onion & bread crumbs
- With your hands, squeeze all the mince, onions and bread crumbs together to make a soft smooth mixture.
- Divide into about 12 small portions. Take each portion and form into a ball.
- Heat about tblsp of oil in a large shallow pan or frying pan. Add the meatballs. Fry gently, turning from time to time so that all the meatball browns.
- When they are browned all round, remove from the pan and place on a baking sheet and keep warm in a low heat oven.
- Drain any excess oil into a cup to cool down. Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir round scraping off any meat residue from the pan.
- Add the tomato puree and the chilli. Stir well until the sauce starts to bubble. Turn down and simmer for about 5mins.
- Pile the tagliatelle into warmed bowls, place the meatballs on top and spoon over the tomato sauce.
Try grating some parmesan over the top for that Italian finish