Lemon Meringue Pie
This retro desert will delight the taste buds with it's zesty lemon and sweet meringue
- 8" flan tin or Pie dish
- 225 g Plain flour
- 50 g chilled butter – cubed
- Pinch salt
- cold water
- 2 large Lemons
- 10 g Granulated Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 75 ml Cornflour
- 75 g Castor Sugar
- 2 Egg Whites
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200c
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt
- Add the cubed butter to the flour and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- You can place the flour, salt and butter in a food processor and blitz
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of cold water and mix with a flat knife until it starts to bind together. Using your hand bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Turn out onto a floured board and roll out so it is about inch bigger than your tin or dish
- Let rest for about 10mins
- Prick the base with a fork or cut out a circle of baking parchment and cover with baking beans.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutesSet to one side
- Turn the oven down to gas 2, 150c
- Grate the rind of two large lemons into a saucepan then squeeze the juice into the pan
- Add the granulated sugar and 300ml cold water.
- Heat gently and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold water in a cup to form a smooth paste.Add to the lemon mixture and stir bringing it to the boil. Continue to stir for another about a minute until thick.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a bit.
- Take the eggs and separate the yolk and egg white into separate bowls
- Beat the egg yolks and add to the lemon mix beating thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour into the pastry case and smooth over.
- Put the egg whites into a clean dry bowl and whisk until thick and glossy
- Add half of the caster sugar whisk again. Carefully fold the rest of the sugar until completely combined.
- Spoon on top of the lemon filling making sure the edges are sealed. With the back of the spoon make peaks with the meringue.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. You can eat hot or allow to cool and eat cold.
To make a Lime pie, use 4 limes instead of the Lemons Serve with double cream or on it’s own.