Leek and Potato Soup
- 3-4 Leeks
- 1 White onion
- 40 g Butter
- 5 medium potatoes
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 300 ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 bay leaf optional
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Cut the ends off the leeks and peel off the outer layer. Wipe the leek clean then slice them.
- Peel and slice the onion
- Peel and cut the potatoes. Cut into quarters then cut into large chunks
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat
- Add the leeks and the onion and cook for about 8mins until softening
- Add the potatoes to the pan and then stir in the Vegetable stock
- Add the bay leaf, salt & pepper.
- Bring to the boil the cover with a lid and then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 20mins.
- Turn out the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- With a hand blender or potato masher, blend the soup to a thick consistency
- Add the milk stiring in well.
- Re-heat gently until it just starts to bubble. Do Not let it boil.
- Serve into warmed bowls
Serve with crusty rolls or bread Add a garnish of parsley Best eaten on the day of making.