Gammon in Sweet Cider
- 1½ Kg Gammon joint unsmoked
- 4 Carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion thickly slices
- 1 large can of sweet cider
- Cold water
- 2 eating apples peeled and sliced.
- Place the gammon joint in a roasting tin with the carrots & onion (and sliced apple if using)
- Pour over the cider and add enough water so that the joint is covered.
- Put in a preheated oven gas 7 / 220º for half an hour
- Turn down to gas 5 / 190º for a further 2 hours.
- Turn the gammon half way through cooking.
- When cooked, allow to rest for 10 15mins before serving.
- 2hrs 30mins
Serve with a Rosemary mash and a Sweet potato mash. Make a creamy mash potato (add plenty of butter) and sprinkle dried or chopped fresh Rosemary in and mix well. Sweet Potato mash – Do the same as normal potato mash.