Cheese & Onion Potato Cakes
- 4 large potatoes
- 80 g strong cheddar grated
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tblsp dried or fresh finely chopped Parsley
- Vegetable oil
- Large knob of butter
- Splash of milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tblspn flour any
- What You Need Optional
- 1 tblspn fresh finely chopped Chives
- 1 tspn dried chillis or 1 fresh finely chopped chilli
- Boil the potatoes and make mash potato, adding the butter & milk for smoothness
- Place the mashed potato into a large bowl
- Add the chopped onion, grated cheese, herbs and egg and mix together well with a wooden spoon.
- Divide into either 4 large cakes or 8 small cakes
- Take each portion and make into a pattie. Coat in the flour and set to one side
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the cakes carefully. You may not be able to fry the cakes all at the same time if there is not enough room. Fry what you can, place them on a plate or baking tray and keep warm in the oven and then fry the next batch.
- Fry for about 5 mins on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your prefered side dish.
This is ideal to make if you are having mash potato the day before. Just make extra and keep in the fridge for the next day. Frying time will be a little longer as you will need to heat the mash potato through properly. Serve with a tomato salsa, a fresh salad or green beans and peas