Sausage and beans in a hearty stew
- Large pot or saucepan
- 1 Pack Sausages, cut each one in half Any flavour
- 1 large Tin Baked Beans Mixed bean can be used too
- 1 large Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 large Onion, chopped White or Red
- 1 tbsp (approx) oil Olive or vegetable
- Pinch Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Beef or Vegetable Stock cube
- 1 ltr hot Water
- heat a little oil in a large pot or saucepan
- Add the onion and the chopped sausages. Fry until the sausages start to colour.
- Add the tomatoes and baked beans, Stir in.
- Make up your stock with boiling water and the stock cube. Add enough to the pot to cover the ingredients.Stir the pot and bring to the boil.
- When the stew has come to the boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and put a lid on the pot. If you have no lid keep a close eye that not too much liquid evaporates. If the stew starts to thicken, add some more hot water.
- After about 20mins, check the consistency of the stew, if too thick add a little more water until it is the thickness you like. Add a pinch of salt & pepper to your liking.
- If the stew is too thin, add some gravy granules a bit at a time until it thickens to your liking. OR, you can use a little cornflour if you have some. Mix with a little cold water to make a paste before adding to the stew.
If you want a bit of spice to your Cowboy Stew, add a few drops of Tabasco sauce or some chilli paste or flakes, whatever you have.